Scott Steven Toomer was brought up in a military family and followed in his father's footsteps to join the RAF. As Weapon Systems Operator - Loadmaster, he fulfils his ambition to fly. Drawn to the job by the variety of roles involved and the places he is able to visit, he would encourage anyone to join the RAF after thinking carefully about all that they are signing up for.
More information about
Check out 3 videos about this career
DescriptionOfficers in armed forces serve as commissioned officers in Her Majesty’s armed forces, foreign and Commonwealth armed forces; plan, direct, organise and administer military operations; and perform duties for which there is no civilian equivalent.
QualificationsEntry to a commission in the UK armed forces is possible with GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, or with higher academic qualifications, or by promotion from NCO or other rank. Each arm of the forces has different age restrictions. Candidates must pass a medical examination and interview.
- Advises and provides information on military aspects of defence policy;
- Plans, directs and co-ordinates military training and manoeuvres;
- Supervises the operation of military units and monitors the activities of junior officers, NCOs and other ranks;
- Plans, directs and administers aid to civilian authorities as requested or when faced with civil disorder, natural disaster or other emergency.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||21925|
|Other personal service||3891|
|Head offices, etc||874|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- East Midlands
- Enterprise types