Seb B is General Manager of a Virgin Active health club. He enjoys his job but it wasn't the career he planned. After graduating he joined the Royal Navy. He had only been there a few weeks when someone fell on him, rupturing the ligaments on his right knee. He had to have a major rethink.
Check out 9 videos about this career
DescriptionLeisure and sports managers organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources required for the provision of sporting, artistic, theatrical and other recreational and amenity services.
QualificationsBoth graduate and non-graduate entry is possible. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 3 and 4. Professional qualifications may also be required for some posts.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes;
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to;
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc.;
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc.;
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs;
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff;
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||23085|
|Food & beverage services||7857|
|Film & music||4101|
|Other personal service||2566|