Sharon B is a partner in her own upholstery business. She makes unique furniture. She started the business with her friend - and that is an important part of her story. They did not know what kind of business they would run.... that came later.
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group upholster vehicle, aircraft and other seating, fix trimmings to the interiors of vehicles and aircraft, upholster furniture such as chairs and sofas, and make mattresses, curtains and other soft furnishings.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Upholstered Furniture Production are available at Level 2.
- Measures frame to be covered or examines drawings or other specifications and cuts material with shears, knife or scissors;
- Tacks and staples or otherwise secures webbing to furniture frame;
- Pads springs and secures padding by stitching, stapling, tacking, etc.;
- Pins sections of coverings together, joins by sewing and inserts trims, braids and buttons as required and fits upholstery unit to frame;
- Operates machine to compress padded spring assemblies and inserts them into mattress covers;
- Encases bed springs and padding with selected covering material by hand or machine stitching and fits castors where required;
- Replaces covering, padding, webbing or springs to repair upholstered furniture;
- Measures, cuts, pins, sews and trims fabrics to make curtains, cushions, loose covers and similar soft furnishings.
for this job
|Repair of goods||595|
|Sale of motor vehicles||423|
|Repair & installation||312|
|Motor vehicles, etc||310|
|Computer programming, etc||308|