Sharon H is Manager of the Engineering Group at Lola Composites. She says "I wanted to work in the sports industry but as I needed money as a student I did a job in Lola. I found I was actually quite good at organising things and Lola they offered the position of being a project engineer which I took up with open arms... New management recognised my skills and promoted me to manager of the engineering group."
More information about Mechanical engineers
Check out 11 videos about this career
DescriptionMechanical engineers undertake research and design, direct the manufacture and manage the operation and maintenance of engines, machines, aircraft, vehicle and ships’ structures, building services and other mechanical items.
QualificationsMechanical engineers usually possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is attainable. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4, followed by periods of training and relevant experience.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls;
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture;
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery;
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards;
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
for this job
|Architectural & related||11862|
|Other trans. equipment||8750|
|Head offices, etc||6496|
|Repair & installation||6307|
|Motor vehicles, etc||3856|
|Rental & leasing||3327|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types