Shirel S is a Resource Director for engineering company Halcrow. She is a river engineer that stops people's houses being flooded. As a Director she manages 200 people. She came to the UK from Israel to improve her qualifications - but she is also happy to be here because her daughter won't have to join the army like she did.
More information about
Check out 11 videos about this career
DescriptionCivil engineers undertake research and design, direct construction and manage the operation and maintenance of civil and mining engineering structures.
QualificationsCivil engineers usually possess an accredited three or four-year degree in civil engineering or engineering science or an accredited Higher National Diploma or Certificate. The status of ‘incorporated engineer’ is obtained upon the completion of further training at work and associate membership of a chartered engineering institution. The status of ‘chartered engineer’ is achieved through the completion of postgraduate training and full membership of a chartered engineering institution.
- Undertakes research and advises on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters;
- Determines and specifies construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications;
- Designs foundations and earthworks;
- Designs structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shafts;
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control;
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
for this job
|Architectural & related||17899|
|Head offices, etc||5718|
|Coal, oil & gas; Mining & related||3006|
|Public admin. & defence||2397|