Shupikai M ia a Recruitment Consultant/Administrator for Lewisham Council. She finds the right people for the right job for Council Departments. Educated in Zimbabwe and London she left college to get a job in a "pool" of young new employees in Lewisham and worked her way up. As a single mother she has had a lot of help from her mother and sister.
More information about
Check out 11 videos about this career
DescriptionHuman resources and industrial relations officers conduct research and advise on recruitment, training, staff appraisal and industrial relations policies and assist specialist managers with negotiations on behalf of a commercial enterprise, trade union or other organisation.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although most entrants possess a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience. Many employers expect staff to gain membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development through study for professional qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in this area are available at Levels 3 and 4.
- Undertakes research into pay differentials, productivity and efficiency bonuses and other payments;
- Develops and recommends personnel and industrial relations policies, assists with their implementation and drafts staff handbooks;
- Assists with negotiations between management and employees or trades unions concerning pay and conditions of employment;
- Interviews candidates for jobs;
- Advises on training and recruitment, negotiating procedures, salary agreements and other personnel and industrial relations issues;
- Deals with grievance and disciplinary procedures, and with staff welfare and counselling provision.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||11076|
|Head offices, etc||10336|
|Services to buildings||4561|
|Architectural & related||3303|