Steven H is Press Room Team Leader at Northend Creative Print Solutions. He runs the presses, and orders the ink. He has been to Germany 5 times to train on new print technologies and he expects more change. "It's important to me that I'm happy and I'm happy at Northend". He started as an apprentice and has been there ever since.
More information about Printers
Check out 3 videos about this career
DescriptionPrinters set up and operate various small offset printing presses and digital printing processes.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
- Positions form or plate on machine, checks alignments and sets press;
- Mixes and loads inks and solvents, loads paper and regulates during print run;
- Prints and examines proof copies and adjusts press as necessary;
- Starts or directs start of printing run and monitors machine to ensure that printing proceeds smoothly;
- Pours colour into machine or directly on to screen and positions screen over item;
- Operates squeegee by hand or machine to press colour through screen;
- Dips wooden pattern block into colour tray and lays different colours on top of, and adjacent to, others to form the required pattern;
- Produces, transfers and outputs digital print images;
- Maintains, adjusts, repairs and cleans machine;
- Keeps production records.
for this job
|Printing & recording||8869|
|Food & beverage services||2261|
|Head offices, etc||1044|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types