Being the youngest of 15 children, Steve found that he was always quite shy. He wanted to be either a footballer or a chef "'cos I came from a large family, and I was never allowed in the kitchen, so I was always curious how food was delivered on a plate. He decribes having children as a massive turning point for him and says "In any trade you go to you get knocked back, you make mistakes, but I believe the best way to correct your mistakes is to learn from them".
More information about Chefs
Check out 9 videos about this career
DescriptionChefs plan menus and prepare, or oversee the preparation of food in hotels, restaurants, clubs, private households and other establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs, BTEC Certificates and Diplomas and foundation degrees are available. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available. Courses are also run by private cookery schools.
- Requisitions or purchases and examines foodstuffs from suppliers to ensure quality;
- Plans menus, prepares, seasons and cooks foodstuffs or oversees their preparation and monitors the quality of finished dishes;
- Supervises, organises and instructs kitchen staff and manages the whole kitchen or an area of the kitchen;
- Ensures relevant hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained within the kitchen;
- Plans and co-ordinates kitchen work such as fetching, clearing and cleaning of equipment and utensils.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||146341|
|Sport & recreation||4318|
|Services to buildings||2829|
|Other personal service||2820|