Suzanne P is a Composer doing a PhD at the University of Edinburgh. Despite being told by a teacher at school that she would never make it, she says "I am a musician, there was never anything else".
More information about
Check out 9 videos about this career
DescriptionMusicians write, arrange, orchestrate, conduct and perform musical compositions.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements although many possess a degree and/or diploma. Entry to a degree or graduate diploma course requires A levels/H grades. Entrants to the performers’ diploma course generally possess GCSEs/S grades and Associated Board Graded Examination passes in their chosen instrument(s) and will be required to audition. Apprenticeships at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available in some areas.
- Conceives and writes original music;
- Tunes instrument and studies and rehearses score;
- Plays instrument as a soloist or as a member of a group or orchestra;
- Scores music for different combinations of voices and instruments to produce desired effect;
- Auditions and selects performers and rehearses and conducts them in the performance of the composition.
for this job
|Arts & entertainment||23866|
|Services to buildings||9593|
|Sport & recreation||2541|
|Printing & recording||1383|