Tom is Orchestra Manager with Britten Sinfonia and describes his career as 'unplanned'. From playing in a band in Australia, he then went on to manage the West Australia Symphony Orchestra and then came to the UK to live. He describes watching 'this incredible rehearsal' and thinking 'I'm really lucky to be sitting here watching this'.
More information about musicians
Check out 9 videos about this career
Musicians write, arrange, orchestrate, conduct and perform musical compositions.
There are no formal academic entry requirements although many possess a degree and/or diploma. Entry to a degree or graduate diploma course requires A levels/H grades. Entrants to the performersí diploma course generally possess GCSEs/S grades and Associated Board Graded Examination passes in their chosen instrument(s) and will be required to audition. Apprenticeships at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 are available in some areas.
- Conceives and writes original music
- Tunes instrument and studies and rehearses score
- Plays instrument as a soloist or as a member of a group or orchestra
- Scores music for different combinations of voices and instruments to produce desired effect
- Auditions and selects performers and rehearses and conducts them in the performance of the composition.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||5,437|
|Arts & entertainment||4,898|
|Services to buildings||2,637|
|Film &† music||2,500|
|Other personal service||2,157|
|Head offices, etc||1,495|
Where to go nextAn overview of information about the performing arts sectorSector Skills Council for Creative & Cultural Skills
More information about teaching and other educational professionals n.e.c.
Check out 15 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of other education and teaching occupations not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 231: Teaching and Educational Professionals.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications, professional qualifications and/or relevant experience.
- Designs and implements methods of assessing the performance of students, co-ordinates and undertakes the evaluation of assessments and awards grades of merit based upon performance
- Co-ordinates the activities of private music and dancing schools, training centres and similar establishments
- Provides private academic, vocational and other instruction to individuals or groups
- Teaches English as a foreign language and assists in the tuition of foreign languages.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||5,506|
|Services to buildings||3,064|
|Food & beverage services||1,537|
|Other personal service||1,433|