Vicky G is a Veterinary Nurse at Wood Green Animal Shelters. It's something she'd always wanted to do. She wondered whether she'd made the right decision when she started in the surgery department, because there was so much going on that she didn't grasp. "It was like they're speaking a completely different language."
More information about Veterinary nurses
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionVeterinary nurses provide assistance to veterinarians in the treatment and care of sick or injured animals.
QualificationsEntrants require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Entrants must obtain employment at an approved veterinary practice to gain practical experience and tuition with an employer for a minimum duration of two years. Candidates must also pass professional examinations before qualifying as a veterinary nurse.
- Assists the veterinary surgeon during surgical and medical treatments of animals;
- Prepares operating theatre, sterilises equipment and assists in theatre as required;
- Dispenses and administers medication and applies dressings to animals under direction from the veterinarian;
- Handles animals during treatment;
- Collects and analyses blood, urine and other samples;
- Cares for animals in hospital accommodation and keeps accurate records;
- Maintains the biosecurity of the veterinary premises;
- Advises clients on preventative medicine to maintain appropriate animal health and welfare.
for this job
|Services to buildings||1369|
|Sport & recreation||609|
|Film & music||77|
|Sale of motor vehicles||69|