James T works for Vodafone as a Core Network Capacity Planning Manager. He answers questions like, "is our network big enough, effectively, so do we need to expand it?". He says, "I was toying with the idea about whether or not I should go to university or whether or not maybe take on an apprenticeship", he chose university and loved the experience.
More information about telecommunications engineers
Check out 4 videos about this career
Telecommunications engineers install, maintain and repair public and private telephone systems and maintain, test and repair telecommunications cables.
There are no formal academic requirements, although entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships and traineeships combining work experience and practical training are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
- Installs internal cabling and wiring for telephone systems and fits and wires junction and distribution boxes
- Fixes connecting wires from underground and aerial lines to premises and connects cable terminals to inside wiring
- Installs telephones, switchboards and coin operated phone boxes
- Uses testing equipment to locate defective components of circuitry and makes any necessary repairs
- Tests installation and makes any further necessary adjustments
- Assists with the erection of wooden poles or steel towers to carry overhead lines
- Connects cables and tests for any defects
- Locates and repairs faults to lines and ancillary equipment
- Erects and maintains mobile telecommunications infrastructure.
for this job
|Sale of motor vehicles||9,780|
|Other trans. equipment||1,687|
|Repair & installation||1,567|
Where to go nextVodafoneSector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing TechnologiesInformation and Statistics relating to the Telecommunications Industry
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types