County Durham NHS Foundation Trust
“Be willing to work hard. I would also advise you to harness every support that you can find.” Adebola enjoyed biology at school and always wanted to work in medicine. She went to university in Nigeria before training as a GP in the UK.
More information about Medical practitioners
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Examines patient, arranges for any necessary x-rays or other tests and interprets results;
- Diagnoses condition and prescribes and/or administers appropriate treatment/surgery;
- Administers medical tests and inoculations against communicable diseases;
- Supervises patient’s progress and advises on diet, exercise and other preventative action;
- Refers patient to specialist where necessary and liaises with specialist;
- Prepares and delivers lectures, undertakes research, and conducts and participates in clinical trials;
- Supervises the implementation of care and treatment plans by other healthcare providers.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way