The Landscape Group
Alistair works for an organisation which provides a range of horticultural and landscaping services for the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. He is a chartered landscape architect and spent a long time in private practice as a landscape architect before moving into contracting. He thinks that “careers now are shaped by your progress and not necessarily by the decisions you make at GCSE and A-level.” He would encourage all young people to be enthusiastic, passionate, do some work experience in the industry they want to pursue and talk to employers once they done their work experience.
More information about Gardeners and landscape gardeners
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Levels ground and installs drainage system as required;
- Prepares soil and plants and transplants, prunes, weeds and otherwise tends plant life;
- Protects plants from pests and diseases;
- Cuts and lays turf using hand and machine tools and repairs damaged turf;
- Prepares or interprets garden design plans;
- Moves soil to alter surface contour of land using mechanical equipment and constructs paths, rockeries, ponds and other features;
- Performs general garden maintenance.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way