Food & Beverage Manager
Sheffield United Football Club
Andy S is the Food and Beverage Manager at Sheffield United Football Club. He describes it as, "match day catering, so the stadia side of it is pies, chips, quick service, like fast food to twenty-six thousand people as fast as possible". Being diagnosed with a serious illness at age 15 might have stopped Andy's football career, but he's determined not to let it get in the way of his working life now.
More information about Restaurant and catering establishment managers and proprietors
Check out 4 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionRestaurant and catering establishment managers and proprietors plan, direct and co-ordinate the catering services of restaurants, hotels and large-scale catering services within other organisations.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Larger restaurants and catering chains offer managerial trainee schemes, entry to which may be based on a variety of qualifications and/or relevant experience. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. Various vocational qualifications are available at Levels 2 to 4.
- Plans catering services and directs staff;
- Decides on range and quality of meals and beverages to be provided;
- Discusses customer’s requirements for special occasions;
- Purchases or directs the purchasing of supplies and arranges for preparation of accounts;
- Verifies that quality of food, beverages and waiting service is as required, that kitchen and dining areas are kept clean and appropriate hygiene standards are maintained in compliance with statutory requirements;
- Plans and arranges food preparation in collaboration with other staff and organises the provision of waiting or counter staff;
- Checks that supplies are properly used and accounted for to prevent wastage and loss and to keep within budget limit;
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;