Farrer & Co
John D is a Para Legal, he says "a Para Legal's often very different depending on where you're working. My job basically mostly involves preparing for court cases. I do family law, so it's mainly divorces... disputes over children, and sometimes we'll end up having go to court". He is working at Farrer & Co part time whilst completing a music degree.
More information about Legal secretaries
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionLegal secretaries file and maintain legal and other records, transcribe notes and dictation into typewritten form and perform other routine clerical tasks in legal practices.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements, although employers may expect candidate to possess a legal secretarial qualification. Entrants to professional legal courses typically require GCSEs/ S grades or equivalent qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- Types letters and legal documents such as wills and contracts;
- Maintains court and clients’ records, organises diaries and arranges appointments;
- Answers enquiries and directs clients to appropriate experts;
- Attends meetings and keeps records of proceedings;
- Delivers and collects documents;
- Sorts and files correspondence and carries out general clerical work.