Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service
John E is a Diesel Mechanic with the Lothian and Borders Fire Service. “I was 15 and a half, left school on the Friday and started in a garage on the Monday morning. In five years time I would like to be retired because I can retire when I’m 60”.
More information about Vehicle technicians, mechanics and electricians
The UK average salary is £29,813
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Visually checks, test drives or uses test equipment to diagnose engine and mechanical faults;
- Removes, dismantles, repairs and replaces defective parts and prepares new parts using appropriate tools;
- Reassembles, tests, adjusts and tunes the appropriate parts, systems or entire engine;
- Carries out routine maintenance checks on oil and air filters, brakes and other vehicle parts/systems;
- Diagnoses faults in electrical/electronic circuitry, removes faulty components and fits replacements;
- Checks condition of electrical/electronic systems and carries out servicing tasks;
- Installs additional electrical amenities such as radio/CD players, aerials;
- Repairs and services air conditioning, heating and engine-cooling systems.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way