Cambridge Regional College
Parveen A is an Administrator at Cambridge Regional College. She has a degree in sociology and law. In the future she would like to take up a career in law, but that's on hold at the moment because she's keen to start a family. "At the moment an admin job is good for me and I'm making the most of that."
More information about Personal assistants and other secretaries
Check out 7 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionPersonal assistants and other secretaries provide administrative and secretarial support to individuals, departmental or management teams within organisations.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entry to professional secretarial courses typically requires GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs are available in Administration at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- Acts as a first point of contact for a manager or team with colleagues and people from outside organisations, fields telephone enquiries, takes and passes on messages;
- Arranges appointments, keeps business diary, organises travel arrangements, makes reservations and organises a variety of functions;
- Opens, sorts, distributes and files correspondence (in hard copy and electronic) and deals directly with routine correspondence;
- Uses appropriate software to produce correspondence, memoranda, reports, presentations and other documents from drafts, handwritten copy or by transcribing dictation;
- Arranges and attends meetings, takes minutes and prepares records of proceedings;
- Translates documents and liaises with overseas clients and suppliers.