Curator Team Leader
The Science Museum
Interested in medicine from an early age, Yasmin's sandwich course experience changed her aspirations. Acknowledging that her heart lay in communicating science, Yasmin has found her varied roles at the Science Museum, including her current position as Curator Team Manager, challenging and rewarding. Completing her masters degree and starting her family have been significant points in her career.
More information about Archivists and curators
Check out 8 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionArchivists and curators collect, appraise and preserve collections of recorded and other material of historical interest.
QualificationsEntrants require a good first degree in order to gain entry to a relevant postgraduate course. Many postgraduate courses also require applicants to have gained relevant practical experience prior to entry. Training is typically received on-the-job. Professional qualifications leading to NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas at Levels 3, 4 and 5 are available.
- Examines, appraises and advises on the acquisition of exhibits, historic records, government papers and other material;
- Classifies material and arranges for its safe keeping and preservation;
- Maintains indexes, bibliographies and descriptive details of archive material and arranges for reproductions of items where necessary;
- Examines objects to identify any damage and carries out necessary restoration whilst preserving original characteristics;
- Makes sure that storage and display conditions protect objects from deterioration and damage;
- Allows access to original material or material not on display for researchers;
- Develops and promotes ideas for exhibitions and displays;
- Negotiates loans of material for specialist displays;
- Liaises with school and other groups or individuals, publicises exhibits and arranges special displays for general, specialised or educational interest;
- Answers verbal or written enquiries and gives advice on exhibits or other material.