Claire C is a Clinical Psychologist, "The connection you have with somebody, and the meanings you make is - it's really interesting, and quite a powerful experience really." She wanted to be Psychologist from the age of 13 and now she has a Doctorate. She works for the NHS and in private practice.
More information about
Check out 1 videos about this career
DescriptionPsychologists research, study and assess emotional, cognitive and behavioural processes and abnormalities in human beings and animals and how these are affected by genetic, physical and social factors.
QualificationsEntrants require a degree in psychology recognised by the British Psychology Society. Postgraduate and professional qualifications relating to different areas of psychology are available and are required for certain posts.
- Develops and administers tests to measure intelligence, abilities, aptitudes, etc. and assesses results;
- Develops treatment and guidance methods and gives treatment or guidance using a variety of therapy and counselling techniques;
- Observes and experiments on humans and animals to measure mental and physical characteristics;
- Analyses the effect of hereditary, social and physical factors on thought and behaviour;
- Studies psychological factors in the treatment and prevention of mental illness or emotional and personality disorders;
- Maintains required contacts with family members, education or other health professionals, as appropriate, and recommends possible solutions to problems presented;
- Applies professional knowledge and techniques within the workplace, addressing issues such as job design, work groups, motivation etc.;
- Applies psychological treatment methods to help athletes achieve optimum mental health and enhance sporting performance.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||1635|
|Computer programming, etc||1278|
|Head offices, etc||720|
|Services to buildings||369|