Brave enough to move from a job that didn't interest or challenge him, Daniel is now fulfilling a dream by completing a 4 year degree in nuclear medicine technology. Completing a short course with the open university proved to his employers, the NHS , that he could combine work and study. He appreciates the chance to solve problems and make a difference to peoples' lives.
More information about Medical radiographers
Check out 7 videos about this career
DescriptionMedical (diagnostic) radiographers operate x-ray machines, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging and other imaging devices for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, assist in the diagnosis of injuries and diseases and are involved in intervention procedures such as the removal of kidney stones. They operate under the supervision of senior staff. Therapeutic radiographers specialise in the planning and administration of radiotherapy treatment for patients with cancer.
QualificationsEntrants for medical radiography possess a degree in radiography recognised by the Health Professions Council (HPC). Those with a relevant first degree may qualify by completing a pre-registration postgraduate diploma or a Masters qualification. Post-qualifying courses are available for specialist areas.
- Uses a range of imaging devices for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes;
- Assesses patients and interprets clinical requirements to determine appropriate radiographic treatments;
- Verifies identity of patient and ensures that necessary preparations have been made for the examination/treatment;
- Decides length and intensity of exposure or strength of dosage of isotope;
- Positions patient and operates x-ray, scanning or fluoroscopic equipment;
- Maintains records of all radiographic/therapeutic work undertaken;
- Plans course of treatment with clinical oncologists and physicists;
- Calculates radiation dosage and maps volume to be treated;
- Explains treatment to patient and management of any side effects;
- Carries out post-treatment reviews and follow-ups.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||3943|
|Services to buildings||612|