James L was inspired to invent a pop up vase by a visit to his sister in law in hospital. The vase won gift of the year in 2001 and progressed from manufacturing at home on the kitchen table to a successful and lucrative business. Now his priorities are to work as hard as he can in order to take school holidays off with his kids.
More information about Marketing and sales directors
Check out 15 videos about this career
DescriptionMarketing and sales directors plan, organise and direct market research and formulate and implement an organisation’s marketing and sales policies.
QualificationsEntry is generally via career progression from related occupations (e.g. Marketing Manager, Sales Manager). Entrants to the professional qualifications of the Chartered Institute of Marketing require GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience.
- Liaises with other senior staff to determine the range of goods or services to be sold;
- Discusses employer’s or clients’ requirements, plans and monitors surveys and analyses of customers’ reactions to products;
- Examines and analyses sales figures, advises on and monitors marketing campaigns and promotional activities;
- Controls the recruitment and training of staff;
- Produces and/or assesses reports and recommendations concerning marketing and sales strategies.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||18487|
|Computer programming, etc||18114|
|Legal & accounting||12276|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- South West England
- East of England
- Enterprise types