Rob S is Operations Manager at Plas y Brenin Mountain Centre. After graduating in zoology he spent a year emptying bins at a holiday complex in France. "I ended up gaining all the experience that I needed for later in my career development. Had I not gone there I wouldn't have climbed all the things in the Alps, I wouldn't have met the people who then kind of traced my pathway for the next ten years or so."
More information about leisure and sports managers
Check out 11 videos about this career
Leisure and sports managers organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources required for the provision of sporting, artistic, theatrical and other recreational and amenity services.
Both graduate and non-graduate entry is possible. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 3 and 4. Professional qualifications may also be required for some posts.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||13,823|
|Services to buildings||2,787|
|Other personal service||2,656|
|Sport & recreation||2,333|
|Sale of motor vehicles||1,696|