Alan D manages the volunteers and fosterers at Wood Green Animal Shelter. He started here as a volunteer himself, and nearly left because he felt the volunteers weren't welcomed or treated with respect. His mission as volunteer manager has been to change that, so now volunteers are treated more like members of staff.
More information about animal care services occupations n.e.c.
Check out 7 videos about this career
Workers in this unit group care for animals held in kennels, stables, zoos and similar establishments, provide specialised training, grooming, clipping and trimming services for animals, and searches for and captures stray or nuisance dogs in public areas and perform a variety of animal care tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 613: Animal Care and Control Services.
Entry is possible without formal academic qualifications, although some employers may ask for GCSEs/S grades. There is a variety of vocational qualifications available, including NVQs/SVQs in Animal Care at Levels 1 and 2, in Dog Grooming at Levels 2 and 3, and BTEC qualifications and apprenticeships relating to Horse Care.
- Feeds, washes, grooms, trims and exercises animals
- Cleans animals’ quarters and renews bedding as necessary
- Houses, feeds, exercises, trains, grooms horses, dogs and other animals in preparation for entry to shows, races and other events
- Checks animals for illness, treats minor ailments or calls for vet if further treatment is required
- Meets prospective owners and advises on animal selection and animal care
- Patrols public areas to search for and capture stray or nuisance dogs, and transports captured animals to kennels.
for this job
|Services to buildings||1,560|
|Public admin. & defence||1,312|
|Sport & recreation||702|
Where to go nextWood Green Animal SheltersSector Skills Council for the Environmental and Land Based SectorInformation and Statistics relating to the Animal Care Industry
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types