British Racing School
British Racing School
Thomas H works in a stable for racehorses. He feeds, grooms and rides three horses. He loves his job and hopes to become a professional jockey someday. His grandad started him off in the business after he left school. He enjoyed the work so he did a course at the British Racing School and they found him a job in a yard in Newmarket. You have to like getting up early for this type of work because it starts just after six in the morning. There are low points like injuries to a horse or rider, but the high points make it all worthwhile. "One of my horses won at Royal Ascot this year, which was an amazing feat, absolutely brilliant."
More information about Animal care services occupations n.e.c.
Check out 7 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionWorkers in this unit group care for animals held in kennels, stables, zoos and similar establishments, provide specialised training, grooming, clipping and trimming services for animals, and searches for and captures stray or nuisance dogs in public areas and perform a variety of animal care tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 613: Animal Care and Control Services.
QualificationsEntry is possible without formal academic qualifications, although some employers may ask for GCSEs/S grades. There is a variety of vocational qualifications available, including NVQs/SVQs in Animal Care at Levels 1 and 2, in Dog Grooming at Levels 2 and 3, and BTEC qualifications and apprenticeships relating to Horse Care.
- Feeds, washes, grooms, trims and exercises animals;
- Cleans animals’ quarters and renews bedding as necessary;
- Houses, feeds, exercises, trains, grooms horses, dogs and other animals in preparation for entry to shows, races and other events;
- Checks animals for illness, treats minor ailments or calls for vet if further treatment is required;
- Meets prospective owners and advises on animal selection and animal care;
- Patrols public areas to search for and capture stray or nuisance dogs, and transports captured animals to kennels.