Andrew D left a career to become a self employed Potter. He says, "This is how I intend to make a living, it's not a very good living I must admit you'll never get rich from it. Unfortunately I'd got to a point in my career where things had started to click and made a bit of money and just worked out that I could stop and start doing something else instead".
More information about Artists
Check out 10 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionArtists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
QualificationsNo specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition;
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method;
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes;
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.;
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed;
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks;
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations;
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers;
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.