Violin Bow Maker
Violin Bow Maker
Stephen Thompson is a Violin Bow Maker and Restorer. He is based at Cockpit Arts. He had completed a course in mechanical and aeronautical engineering, but then realised he didn't enjoy engineering. So he wrote a list of all the things he really wanted to do. "And everything I put on my list was very practical and quite traditional." So that set him in the direction of crafts.
More information about Other skilled trades n.e.c.
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Uses hand or machine tools to engrave letters, patterns and other designs on jewellery and stoneware;
- Constructs and covers wire frames for lampshades;
- Makes wigs, beards and other artificial hairpieces from human hair or synthetic materials;
- Interweaves canes of willow, withy, bamboo, rattan or similar material to make baskets and other pieces of wickerwork;
- Charges fireworks, cartridges and other munitions with explosive material;
- Makes childrens toys, dolls, models, candles, artificial flowers and other fancy goods;
- Makes, maintains and adapts surgical and orthopaedic appliances;
- Makes patterns for moulds, fits metal castings, pours plaster, fills plaster mould with resin and smoothes surface;
- Makes musical instruments, makes and assembles parts for musical instruments, and tunes to improve pitch, tone and volume;
- Makes and repairs jewellery and decorative precious metal ware, sets, cuts and polishes gemstones and makes master patterns for articles of jewellery.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way