Deirdre D is an Executive Producer with the BBC in Northern Ireland. She did a postgraduate diploma in Journalism and had some work experience with the BBC, before joining them and spending 11 years in News & Current affairs as a reporter - "my dad was so chuffed to see me on TV and it's great, you know". But then she decided to move behind the camera and work as a producer - "I think in every reporter's life, there is a crossroads, do I stay in front of the camera or do I make it happen behind the scenes and I chose the behind the scenes because that's a whole other world that's fascinating".
More information about Arts officers, producers and directors
Check out 22 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionArts officers, producers and directors assume creative, financial and organisational responsibilities in the production and direction of television and radio programmes, films, stage presentations, content for other media, and the promotion and exhibition of other creative activities.
QualificationsEntry can be via academic qualifications, BTEC/SQA awards, diplomas or degrees in sector-relevant subjects. Apprenticeships are available at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 in some areas.
- Chooses writers, scripts, technical staff and performers, and assumes overall responsibility for completion of project on time and within budget;
- Directs actors, designers, camera team, sound crew and other production and technical staff to achieve desired effects;
- Breaks script into scenes and formulates a shooting schedule that will be most economical in terms of time, location and sets;
- Prepares rehearsal and production schedule for main events, design of sets and costumes, technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals;
- Ensures necessary equipment, props, performers and technical staff are on set when required;
- Manages health and safety issues;
- Selects, contracts, markets and arranges for the presentation and/or distribution of performance, visual and heritage arts.