Fresia C is a Facilities Manager for Lewisham Council. She looks after buildings and the security and cleaning contracts. She is also responsible for the Health and Safety Regulations. She has had a varied career and started in the Cabinet Office at 16 and also worked in adrenelin fueled finance. Her passion is to work with the community. She keeps on learning even though she left school 30 years ago. Oustside work she is a foster carer and would like to work with a young people's community project.
More information about Local government administrative occupations
Check out 4 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group undertake a variety of administrative and clerical duties in local government offices and departments.
QualificationsEntry is most common with GCSEs/S grades. Evidence of keyboard skills may also be required in some posts. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2 and 3.
- Computes cost of product/services and maintains and balances records of financial transactions;
- Prepares and checks invoices and verifies accuracy of records;
- Receives and pays out cash and cheques and performs closely related clerical duties;
- Updates and maintains data, correspondence and other records for storage or despatch;
- Arranges, classifies and indexes publications, correspondence and other material in libraries and offices;
- Performs other clerical duties not elsewhere classified including preparing financial information for management, proof reading printed material and drafting letters in reply to correspondence or telephone enquiries.