Principal Trading Standards Officer
North East Lincolnshire County Council
Jane T is Principal Trading Standards Officer for North East Lincolnshire County Council. She had no idea what to do when she left school. A friend of her mum's suggested doing a degree specifically to train in trading standards or consumer protection law. She realised it was a field which combined law, which was what she was interested in, with getting out and about. She took up the suggestion and qualified as a trading standards officer eight years ago. "No two days are the same. Last week, I was out testing petrol measures making sure that when you pay for a litre of petrol, you get a litre of petrol. This morning, I was sampling bird feed. Literally sampling it, shovelling it, putting it in a cone... It keeps you fit."
More information about Officers of non-governmental organisations
Check out 2 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionOfficers of non-governmental organisations perform a variety of administrative and clerical tasks in the running of trade associations, employers’ associations, learned societies, trade unions, charitable organisations and similar bodies.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although pre-entry experience is usually necessary. Some organisations only employ their own members, although evidence of related work within pressure groups, the voluntary sector, trade unions or other organisations is generally sufficient.
- Maintains and updates records of membership details, subscription fees, mailing lists, etc.;
- Circulates and reports information of relevance to members and interested parties;
- Arranges meetings, conferences and other events and circulates agenda and other relevant material;
- Receives and responds to written correspondence and telephone enquiries from members and other organisations;
- Assists with fund raising activities within a specified geographical area;
- Prepares and provides measures of organisational activity for senior officials.