Katharine Holabird is the author of the Angelina Ballerina stories. Her first job in publishing was for Variety magazine. It was very badly paid but it gave her the chance to write stories and interviews, and get them published.
More information about Authors, writers and translators
Check out 5 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJob holders in this unit group write, edit and evaluate literary material for publication excluding material for newspapers, magazines and other periodicals but including scripts and narrative for film, TV, radio and computer games and animations; and translate spoken and written statements into different languages.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Postgraduate and professional qualifications are available and are required for some occupations.
- Determines subject matter and researches as necessary by interviewing, attending public events, seeking out records, observing etc.;
- Generates and develops creative ideas for literary material;
- Selects material for publication, checks style, grammar and accuracy of content, arranges for any necessary revisions and checks proof copies before printing;
- Negotiates contracts with freelance agents and with buyer on behalf of writer;
- Writes instruction manuals and user guides, technical reports, catalogues and indexes, prepares sales literature and writes technical articles for trade journals;
- Converts documents or spoken statements from original or source language into another language;
- Provides communication support for the hard of hearing or the visually impaired.