Animal Collection Keeper
Shepreth Wildlife Park
Rebecca W is the Animal Collections Manager at Shepreth Wildlife Park. She's had some major changes of career direction. Originally she wanted to be a vet but she passed out during work experience and realised perhaps it wasn't for her. Then she was enthusiastic about going into law, got a place at law school but went to work in publishing instead. The money and perks were good but she realised it wasn't what she wanted to do as a career, so she went back to the idea of animals and took a degree in Zoo Management. She'd always worked at the zoo in her spare time because she's a member of the family that owns it. Now she loves it.
More information about Animal care services occupations n.e.c.
Check out 7 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionWorkers in this unit group care for animals held in kennels, stables, zoos and similar establishments, provide specialised training, grooming, clipping and trimming services for animals, and searches for and captures stray or nuisance dogs in public areas and perform a variety of animal care tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 613: Animal Care and Control Services.
QualificationsEntry is possible without formal academic qualifications, although some employers may ask for GCSEs/S grades. There is a variety of vocational qualifications available, including NVQs/SVQs in Animal Care at Levels 1 and 2, in Dog Grooming at Levels 2 and 3, and BTEC qualifications and apprenticeships relating to Horse Care.
- Feeds, washes, grooms, trims and exercises animals;
- Cleans animals’ quarters and renews bedding as necessary;
- Houses, feeds, exercises, trains, grooms horses, dogs and other animals in preparation for entry to shows, races and other events;
- Checks animals for illness, treats minor ailments or calls for vet if further treatment is required;
- Meets prospective owners and advises on animal selection and animal care;
- Patrols public areas to search for and capture stray or nuisance dogs, and transports captured animals to kennels.