Lewisham County Council
Shupikai M ia a Recruitment Consultant/Administrator for Lewisham Council. She finds the right people for the right job for Council Departments. Educated in Zimbabwe and London she left college to get a job in a "pool" of young new employees in Lewisham and worked her way up. As a single mother she has had a lot of help from her mother and sister.
More information about Human resources and industrial relations officers
Check out 11 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionHuman resources and industrial relations officers conduct research and advise on recruitment, training, staff appraisal and industrial relations policies and assist specialist managers with negotiations on behalf of a commercial enterprise, trade union or other organisation.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although most entrants possess a degree or equivalent qualification and/or relevant experience. Many employers expect staff to gain membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel Development through study for professional qualifications. NVQs/SVQs in this area are available at Levels 3 and 4.
- Undertakes research into pay differentials, productivity and efficiency bonuses and other payments;
- Develops and recommends personnel and industrial relations policies, assists with their implementation and drafts staff handbooks;
- Assists with negotiations between management and employees or trades unions concerning pay and conditions of employment;
- Interviews candidates for jobs;
- Advises on training and recruitment, negotiating procedures, salary agreements and other personnel and industrial relations issues;
- Deals with grievance and disciplinary procedures, and with staff welfare and counselling provision.