Sam James Ltd
“I’ve loved learning, I’ve loved making mistakes. I think it would be really dull to know things before you should.” Sam wanted to be a pathologist but changed her mind at the last minute. She went to art school and then started her apprenticeship in engraving. She now runs her own business in partnership with fellow engraver James.
More information about Other skilled trades n.e.c.
The UK average salary is £29,813
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Uses hand or machine tools to engrave letters, patterns and other designs on jewellery and stoneware;
- Constructs and covers wire frames for lampshades;
- Makes wigs, beards and other artificial hairpieces from human hair or synthetic materials;
- Interweaves canes of willow, withy, bamboo, rattan or similar material to make baskets and other pieces of wickerwork;
- Charges fireworks, cartridges and other munitions with explosive material;
- Makes childrens toys, dolls, models, candles, artificial flowers and other fancy goods;
- Makes, maintains and adapts surgical and orthopaedic appliances;
- Makes patterns for moulds, fits metal castings, pours plaster, fills plaster mould with resin and smoothes surface;
- Makes musical instruments, makes and assembles parts for musical instruments, and tunes to improve pitch, tone and volume;
- Makes and repairs jewellery and decorative precious metal ware, sets, cuts and polishes gemstones and makes master patterns for articles of jewellery.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way