Airfield Operations Supervisor
Steve M is Airfield Operations Supervisor at Lydd Airport. “My job basically is, once aircraft land at the Airport, to get them ready to get back airborne again. And that can be anything from re-fuelling, baggage, any other services that the aircraft requires.” But before this he spent 23 years as a social worker. His turning point came when he became engaged to a colleague, and they weren’t allowed to work together and be in a relationship. Luckily Steve felt like a change anyway. He enjoyed picking up the new skills for the job at the airport, and he doesn’t miss the long hours of the care sector.
More information about Managers and directors in transport and distribution
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Plans the optimum utilisation of staff and operating equipment, and co-ordinates maintenance activities to ensure least possible disruption to services;
- Examines traffic reports, load patterns, traffic receipts and other data and revises transport services or freight rates accordingly;
- Directs the movement, handling and storage of freight in transit, and reviews space utilisation, staffing and distribution expenditure to determine future distribution policies;
- Ensures that regulations regarding hours of work, the licensing of crews and transport equipment, the operational safety and efficiency of equipment, the insurance of vehicles and other statutory regulations are complied with;
- Ensures that harbour channels and berths are maintained and liaises with ship owners, crew, customs officials, dock and harbour staff to arrange entry, berthing and servicing of ships;
- Supervises day-to-day activities in a railway station;
- Arranges for maintenance of airport runways and buildings, liaises with fuel and catering crews to ensure adequate supplies and resolves any complaints and problems raised by airport users.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way