Prisoner Governor Sue D has responsibility for over 500 prisoners at HMPS Blunderstone. After a chance suggestion from a friend's father, she has spent her entire career in the prison service. During her early training she served over 12 months in uniform and says of this experience "it stood me in very, very good stead because it made me realise what life is like for the officer on the ground."
More information about Senior officers in fire, ambulance, prison and related services
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Liaises with other senior officials and/or government departments to determine staffing, financial and other short- and long-term needs;
- Prepares reports for insurance companies, the Home Office, Scottish Home and Health Department, and other bodies as necessary;
- Advises on the recruitment, training and monitoring of staff;
- Fire officers plan, direct and co-ordinate an operational plan for one or more fire stations, attend fires and other emergencies to minimise danger to property and people, arrange for the salvaging of goods, immediate temporary repairs and security measures for fire damaged premises as necessary;
- Ambulance officers plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities of ambulance personnel and control room assistants, for the provision of ambulance services for emergency and non-emergency cases;
- Prison officers interview prisoners on arrival and discharge/departure, receive reports on disciplinary problems and decide on appropriate action, make periodic checks on internal and external security, and provide care and support to prisoners in custody;
- Revenue and customs, excise and immigration officers advise on the interpretation of regulations concerning taxes, duties and immigration requirements and enforce these regulations through monitoring of premises, examining goods entering the country to ensure correct duty is paid and establishing that passengers have the necessary authorisation for crossing national borders.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way