Vicky has achieved her dream of being a make-up artist. She was bullied at school and didn't enjoy her school days at all. It was only her personal determination to pursue her dream that led her to go back to college and study beauty therapy. "You have to believe and be strong and be positive. You've got to believe in yourself".
More information about Beauticians and related occupations
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body;
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning;
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair;
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions;
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques;
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies;
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate;
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming;
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way