Victoria runs her own beauty therapy business. She was initially told that because she had childhood eczema, this would be a route that would be closed to her. However, after a spell working in a bank "and I hated every minute of it", she embarked on a 3 year hair and beauty course. She has had a very fulfilled career: "it's made me grow hugely as a person, it's made me who I am today".
More information about Beauticians and related occupations
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Discusses clients requirements, analyses and advises client on appropriate skin care, and applies treatments to the face or body;
- Massages scalp, face and other parts of the body and carries out spray tanning;
- Uses waxing, threading, sugaring and other epilation techniques to remove any unwanted body hair;
- Cleans, shapes and polishes finger and toe nails, applies nail extensions;
- Applies make-up to hide blemishes or enhance facial features and advises clients on skin care and make-up techniques;
- Performs specialist treatments for conditions such as acne, applies skin rejuvenation therapies;
- Recognises problems and refers clients to medical practitioners if appropriate;
- Advises clients on diet and exercise to assist in weight loss and slimming;
- Maintains client records, sells and advises on cosmetic products and services, and ensures appropriate health and safety issues are addressed.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way