Douglas knows that coming out to his parents when he was 18 and leaving accountancy to pursue his interest in Hospitality and Catering have been hugely significant points in his life. Inspired by his mum and his partner, his ethos in life, 'live hard, work hard' and his ability to take leaps of faith to pursue his passions, have seen him forge a very successful career.
More information about Catering and bar managers
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionCatering and bar managers plan, direct and co-ordinate the catering and bar facilities and services of licensed premises, factories, shops, theatres, educational premises and other establishments. They also manage outside catering businesses and shops selling food cooked on the premises.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Larger catering and licensed premises chains offer managerial trainee schemes. Candidates for these usually require a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification, or a professional qualification. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 2 to 4.
- Plans catering or bar services and supervises staff;
- Decides on range and quality of meals and beverages to be provided or discusses customer’s requirements for special occasions;
- Purchases or directs the purchasing of supplies and arranges for preparation of accounts;
- Verifies that quality of food, beverages and waiting service are as required and that kitchen and dining areas are kept clean in compliance with statutory requirements;
- Checks that supplies are properly used and accounted for to prevent wastage and loss and to keep within budget limit.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||38532|
|Sport & recreation||3978|
|Public admin. & defence||1861|
|Services to buildings||1806|
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Focus On
- Enterprise types