Indie was influenced by her father, also an electrician, to take up an apprenticeship covering electrics and lighting. She has now been a qualified electrician for a couple of years and although her mother was a little apprehensive about Indie being in a male dominated profession, she is now really proud of her. Indie would recommend an apprenticeship to anyone and has no regrets about taking this route into employment.
More information about Electricians and electrical fitters
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionElectricians and electrical fitters assemble parts in the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment, and install, maintain, and repair electrical plant, machinery, appliances and wiring.
QualificationsAcademic qualifications may not be required, though some GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification may be an advantage. NVQs/SVQs in Servicing Electronic Systems are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships combining practical work experience and technical training are available at Levels 2 and 3. Entrants must have good eyesight and normal colour vision.
- Examines drawings, specifications and wiring diagrams to determine the method and sequence of operations;
- Selects, cuts and lays wires and connects to sockets, plugs or terminals by crimping, soldering, brazing or bolting;
- Cuts, bends and installs electrical conduit;
- Assembles parts and sub-assemblies using hand tools and by brazing, riveting or welding;
- Installs electrical plant, machinery and other electrical fixtures and appliances such as fuse boxes, generators, light sockets etc.;
- Examines electrical plant or machinery, domestic appliances and other electrical assembly for faults using test equipment and replaces worn parts and faulty wiring.
for this job
|Electricity, gas, etc||6618|
|Architectural & related||5378|
Where to go next
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Focus On
- Enterprise types