Barabara Rumble is a Civil Engineer with the Environment Agency. She says "I am looking at the flood risk management... I suppose one of the incidents which really had an impact on me was big flooding in '97 in Poland". She would like to build bridges because "they connect land and people".
More information about civil engineers
Check out 11 videos about this career
Civil engineers undertake research and design, direct construction and manage the operation and maintenance of civil and mining engineering structures.
Civil engineers usually possess an accredited three or four-year degree in civil engineering or engineering science or an accredited Higher National Diploma or Certificate. The status of ‘incorporated engineer’ is obtained upon the completion of further training at work and associate membership of a chartered engineering institution. The status of ‘chartered engineer’ is achieved through the completion of postgraduate training and full membership of a chartered engineering institution.
- Undertakes research and advises on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters
- Determines and specifies construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications
- Designs foundations and earthworks
- Designs structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shafts
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||11,296|
|Head offices, etc||5,495|
|Architectural & related||4,534|
|Public admin. & defence||2,954|
|Legal & accounting||2,393|