Paul studied Aeronautical Engineering at Universtiy but there were no jobs in the aircraft industry when he came to look for a job. So he took time out to travel where he saw "the difference that engineering can make to people's lives". He has completed a postgraduate degree in Conservation and the Environment and, remembering a school trip to Wales when he was 17, "was hooked on the whole UK energy industry and just wanted to get in and be part of it".
More information about Civil engineers
Check out 10 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionCivil engineers undertake research and design, direct construction and manage the operation and maintenance of civil and mining engineering structures.
QualificationsCivil engineers usually possess an accredited three or four-year degree in civil engineering or engineering science or an accredited Higher National Diploma or Certificate. The status of ‘incorporated engineer’ is obtained upon the completion of further training at work and associate membership of a chartered engineering institution. The status of ‘chartered engineer’ is achieved through the completion of postgraduate training and full membership of a chartered engineering institution.
- Undertakes research and advises on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters;
- Determines and specifies construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications;
- Designs foundations and earthworks;
- Designs structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shafts;
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control;
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.