Barbara Rumble is a Civil Engineer with the Environment Agency. She says “I am looking at the flood risk management… I suppose one of the incidents which really had an impact on me was big flooding in ’97 in Poland”. She would like to build bridges because “they connect land and people”.
More information about Civil engineers
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Undertakes research and advises on soil mechanics, concrete technology, hydraulics, water and waste water treatment processes and other civil engineering matters;
- Determines and specifies construction methods, materials, quality and safety standards and ensures that equipment operation and maintenance comply with design specifications;
- Designs foundations and earthworks;
- Designs structures such as roads, dams, bridges, railways, hydraulic systems, sewerage systems, industrial and other buildings and plans the layout of tunnels, wells and construction shafts;
- Organises and plans projects, arranges work schedules, carries out inspection work and plans maintenance control;
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way