Sheffield Teaching Hospital, NHS
“Accept that sometimes things don’t go to plan and if the plan changes that’s not necessarily a bad thing.” Holly originally wanted to be a dentist before deciding to become an optometrist – a job she really loves.
More information about Ophthalmic opticians
The UK average salary is £29,813
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Examines eyes and tests vision of patient, identifies problems, defects, injuries and ill health;
- Prescribes, supplies and fits appropriate spectacle lenses, contact lenses and other aids;
- Advises patient on proper use of glasses, contact lenses and other aids, and on appropriate lighting conditions for reading and working;
- Refers patient to a specialist, where necessary;
- Carries out research with glass and lens manufacturers.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way