Moorfields Eye Hospital, NHS
“I really enjoy meeting new people every day and giving the patient the best level of care.” Tulsi studied optometry at university. After qualifying, she worked in opticians’ stores before moving to an eye hospital. She’s now working on a research study to help young patients with their eyesight.
More information about Ophthalmic opticians
The UK average salary is £29,813
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Examines eyes and tests vision of patient, identifies problems, defects, injuries and ill health;
- Prescribes, supplies and fits appropriate spectacle lenses, contact lenses and other aids;
- Advises patient on proper use of glasses, contact lenses and other aids, and on appropriate lighting conditions for reading and working;
- Refers patient to a specialist, where necessary;
- Carries out research with glass and lens manufacturers.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way