Extended Schools Co-ordinator
George Salter Collegiate School
John N works at George Salter Collegiate School as an Extended Schools Coordinator organising things like "after school clubs, Saturday schools, holiday programmes" for students and the community. After school he didn't go to university - he got a D and an E in Latin and Greek. He had a very successful retail career, however he eventually decided to go back and study.
More information about Education advisers and school inspectors
Check out 8 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionEducation advisers and school inspectors plan, organise and direct the educational activities and resources in a local authority education area, and undertake inspections of schools and other training establishments excluding universities.
QualificationsJobholders usually possess an education-related degree or relevant postgraduate qualification and have gained relevant experience in teaching and/or school management. Before being appointed, an inspector has to attend a course of training provided or approved by OFSTED. Most inspectors are or have been head teachers, deputy heads or heads of department.
- Advises on all aspects of education and ensures that all statutory educational requirements are being met;
- Plans and advises on the provision of special schools for children with physical or learning disabilities;
- Appoints and controls teaching staff;
- Verifies that school buildings are adequately maintained;
- Arranges for the provision of school medical and meals services;
- Observes teaching, assesses learning level and discusses any apparent faults with teachers, heads of department and head teachers;
- Prepares reports on schools concerning teaching standards, educational standards being achieved, the spiritual, moral and social development of pupils, resource management etc.