Northend Creative Print Solutions
Lee H is a Graphic Designer at Northend Creative Print Solutions. He says "When I left university I applied for about 80 jobs. I got ten letters back, 70 no replies and I got about four or five interviews and I got a job... I'm happy doing what I'm doing. It's always what I've wanted".
More information about Graphic designers
Check out 5 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionGraphic designers use illustrative, sound, visual and multimedia techniques to convey a message for information, entertainment, advertising, promotion or publicity purposes, and create special visual effects and animations for computer games, film, interactive and other media.
QualificationsEntrants have usually completed a foundation course, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree and/or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Design (in various disciplines) are available at Levels 2 and 3. Portfolio work is also important for entry.
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints;
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes;
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations;
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project;
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales;
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.