Manna W is an Environmental Officer for the Environment Agency. She was diagnised with Leukaemia at 17 so she wanted to make sure she had a full life. She says, "I had a ten year plan and I wanted to go to university. I wanted to travel... I had a big list of all the things I wanted to do. I've done most of them."
More information about Environment professionals
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment;
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination;
- Implements remediation works;
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance;
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments;
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings;
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner;
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies;
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way