Andrea K is an Environmental Scientist with the Forestry Commission, "I spend quite a lot of time out in the field. I'm quite good at looking at plants in the woodlands and saying, 'This is that species and we've got so much of that species and that changes by so much over time'. My work involves doing experiments to help our foresters do better forestry."
More information about Environment professionals
Check out 10 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group investigate, address, and advise on a variety of terrestrial and marine environment and resource management issues, including the development and implementation of environmental policies and remedies that address the impacts of human activities and industrial processes on the environment.
QualificationsA good degree in a relevant subject is normally a minimum entry qualification, and some employers will require a postgraduate qualification. Relevant work experience to complement academic qualifications is highly desirable. Professional qualifications across a wide range of areas of work are available.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment;
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination;
- Implements remediation works;
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance;
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments;
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings;
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner;
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies;
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.