After meeting his wife Robert decided not to join the Armed Forces, since then his career has been unstructured but not uneventful. Speaking about his current job, "I think I'm very priveledged to be in the job that I've got, and I work very hard. But I wouldn't be able to do that if I didn't enjoy my job."
More information about Cleaning and housekeeping managers and supervisors
Check out 3 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionWorkers in this unit group manage and supervise cleaning and other housekeeping tasks within private households, hotels, schools, hostels and other non-private households, and in offices and other premises.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements, but GCSEs/S grades and/or relevant work experience may be needed in some instances. BTEC certificates and diplomas, NVQs/SVQs and degree level courses are available in relevant areas.
- Recruits or participates in the selection process for cleaning and housekeeping staff and takes charge of staff training;
- Assigns duties and responsibilities to staff and oversees working rotas;
- Supervises the activities of cleaners and other housekeeping staff and inspects work undertaken;
- Oversees the provision of cleaning and housekeeping supplies;
- Arranges for replacement of broken, defective tools and handles arrangements for repairs to fixtures and fittings;
- Manages budget for cleaning and housekeeping supplies and keeps record of expenditure.